Scientific data about contemporary terrorism in Europe does exist, even when politicians and voters do not seem to note!
Let me summarise the conclusions from the Scientific American article titled “Terrorism Science: 5 Insights into Jihad in Europe“:
- Religion is not the trigger
- Resentment is the common ground
- Terrorism breeds in prisons
- ‘Entrepreneurs’ drive terrorism
- Molenbeek isn’t the terrorist capital of Europe
My assessment of Molenbeek was mostly based on a gut feeling and a bit of information from more serious sources than the mainstream newspapers her in Belgium; I am glad to see it confirmed by social scientists with more data to work from.