At work, I tried to upgrade PasswordSafeSWT, our password manager tool, to version 0.8.1. Installing the tool went well, but opening and updating our current password safe file generated errors with the message “Illegal pattern character ‘Y'”. The error occurs on many entries when using the password safe from the previous version “as is”. The project has recorded a bug report on the subject; no solution has been offered, however, even though many months have gone by. The bug report is rather limited, but I can confirm that the problem is very real on Windows XP SP3.
I first thought that the problem was related to our ‘old’ safe, so I tried exporting the data to a new safe and update that. To no avail, since even then the error message appears on every new update… And exporting the data to a new safe isn’t really an option, since that would destroy all log data about changes and accesses.
So for the moment we stay with version 0.8!